In 1846 Richard Wagner spent an eleven-week summer holiday with his wife Minna on a farm in Groß-Graupa. The composer created essential parts of his opera "Lohengrin" here. In 1907, two Richard Wagner memorial rooms were set up in memory of the composer's stay. The so-called Lohengrin Haus is the oldest historical Wagner residence still in existence today. In 1935, the municipality acquired the estate and opened a Richard Wagner Museum here. After the end of the Second World War, the rooms were temporarily used for other purposes, but the museum was reopened as early as 1952. In 2006/07, the Wagner living quarters were extensively restored and an additional exhibition area was set up.
To mark the 200th anniversary of the composer's birth in 2013, a further permanent exhibition was opened in the Jagdschloss Graupa - now a district of Pirna - not far from the Lohengrin Haus. To express the close relationship between the two buildings in this memorial ensemble, they were renamed Richard-Wagner-Stätten Graupa.