In 1844, the psychiatrist Franz Richarz bought the country house in Endenich near Bonn, built in 1790 in the classicist style, had it rebuilt and opened a private sanatorium there, the "Anstalt für Behandlung und Pflege von Gemütskranken und Irren". Famous personalities were treated here, including the composer Robert Schumann. As early as 1926, there were plans to establish a Schumann memorial, but these did not reach fruition. Although the house had been badly damaged during the Second World War, it was restored and somewhat redesigned from the end of the 1950s onwards. In 1963, the music library moved in, and the two rooms on the first floor that Schumann had occupied at the time were set up as a memorial. In 1984, with the support of the Schumannhaus Bonn Association, the house was acquired by the City of Bonn. In the meantime, the display rooms in the music library include not only Schumann's two sickrooms but also another sickroom and an anteroom.
From 1767 to 1774, Ludwig van Beethoven's father Johann and his family lived in the back part of a building in the heart of the city. In 1889, twelve prominent citizens of Bonn founded the Beethoven-Haus association. According to the statutes, the most important purpose of this association was to ensure the continued existence of the then dilapidated building and to set up a Beethoven memorial there. As early as 1893, the association succeeded in opening the museum after restoring Ludwig van Beethoven's birthplace and acquiring the front part of the house. Later, the complex was extended by another building from across the street, housing the ticket office, shop, café, educational facilities and cloakrooms. The holdings of the Beethoven-Haus Bonn form the largest and most important Beethoven collection in the world today.