Wagner-Museum Bayreuth with Haus Wahnfried

Richard Wagner played an important role in planning his own first house, Wahnfried, which was financed by his royal patron Ludwig II of Bavaria. He lived in the house with his family from 1874 until his death in 1883, after which it remained the family residence until 1966. Heavily destroyed during the war in 1945, the house was rebuilt in its original condition from 1974 to 1976. Since its opening in 1976, the Richard Wagner Museum with National Archive and Research Centre in Haus Wahnfried has been a place for research and communication of Richard Wagner's life and work and the performance history of the Bayreuth Festival in accordance with the statutes of the Richard Wagner Foundation which runs it.

The Siegfried Wagner Haus was built in 1894 by Wagner's son Siegfried and occupied by his wife Winifred until her death in 1980. It has been preserved on the ground floor in its original 1930s appearance. The history of Wagner's ideology is presented here, the close connection between Bayreuth and the Nazi dictatorship is examined, and the Wagner family's personal relations with the National Socialists and Adolf Hitler are documented.

Jean-Paul-Museum Bayreuth

The building in which the Jean-Paul Museum is located did not exist during the author's lifetime. It was built later and was the former home of Richard Wagner's daughter Eva and her husband Houston Stewart Chamberlain, whose work in the "Bayreuther Kreis" promoted the composer's ethnic reception. The establishment of a Jean Paul Museum was only made possible by the commitment of a descendant of the poet's last landlords. From his youth, Philipp Hausser had amassed a considerable collection of Jean Paul's autographs, first editions of his works, literature from his circle, portraits and pictorial material. This probably most important private collection on Jean Paul forms the basis of the museum, which opened in 1980. The city expanded it considerably in 1994 and has since been able to acquire further valuable manuscripts by Jean Paul as well as documents on his life and work. On the occasion of the author's 250th birthday, the museum was completely redesigned and reopened in 2013.

Jean-Paul-Stube in the „Rollwenzelei“ – Bayreuth

The former customs house at Colmberg is located on Bayreuth's Königsallee. The writer Jean Paul stayed in this building almost daily between 1805 and 1825. The owners Friedrich and Anna Dorothea Rollwenzel provided him with a room in which he could write, but also fed him. After they were granted the right to serve drinks in 1809, the house became an inn. Jean Paul drank his beloved Franconian brown beer there. In 1812, the Rollwenzel couple acquired the building. After the death of Anna Dorothea Rollwenzel in 1830, the property changed hands several times before it was bought by the innkeeper Friedrich Justinus in 1876. Since that time, the "Rollwenzelei" with the poet's parlour has been in the direct line of private ownership of the Justinus family, who opened the poet's parlour to the public. During the restoration of the building in 2006-10, it was possible to restore the parlour to how it looked in Jean Paul's time. An exhibition area was also added.