The wine-grower’s house in Hosterwitz (now a district of Dresden), built in 1725, was the holiday home of the composer Carl Maria von Weber, who spent the summer months here with his family in 1818, 1819 and from 1822 to 1824. As early as 1836, ten years after Weber's death, a small memorial room was set up in the building. The Prussian music director Friedrich Wilhelm Jähns donated a guest book for it. In 1847, a sheet of music, a letter and a portrait of Weber were added, and in 1865 a commemorative plaque was attached to the front of the house. In 1928, the Landesverein Sächsischer Heimatschutz took over the house. After being closed for several years due to the Second World War, it was reopened in 1948. After Mathilde von Weber's death, various family heirlooms were brought there, and in 1957 it was set up as a museum. From 1973 onwards, the building was thoroughly renovated and reopened in 1976 on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of Carl Maria von Weber's death. Since 2005, the Carl Maria von Weber Museum has belonged to the museums of the City of Dresden. The Hosterwitz Summer House is not just the only surviving Dresden residence of the composer, but also the very first Romantic memorial.
Museum of Dresden Romanticism in the Kügelgenhaus
The museum, located on the second floor, was established in the rooms of the former studio flat of the history and portrait painter Gerhard von Kügelgen. It is located in the so-called "Gottessegen" house, which was built at the end of the 17th century and survived the bombing of Dresden. On the initiative of Dresden art and literature historians, a historical site was established here in 1981, dedicated to the Kügelgen family of artists and presenting their prominent guests as well as the most important representatives of Romanticism in Dresden which include Caspar David Friedrich, Philipp Otto Runge, Georg Friedrich Kersting, Johan Christian Dahl and Carl Gustav Carus, Carl Maria von Weber, Robert Schumann and Richard Wagner, Novalis, Ludwig Tieck, the Schlegel brothers, Heinrich von Kleist and E. T. A. Hoffmann. The place belongs to the museums of the city of Dresden.